Multimedia: Videos to View
Recorded cultural competency videos pertaining to improving HIV/AIDS health care.
The following resources are available from the AETC NMC Electronic Library as well as repository locations of our collaborative partners. Materials are listed with most recent items first.
- Five Questions and Answers on HIV/STIs, Project Hope, 2013
- At AIDS 2012, Interview with Alicia Wilson from La Clinica del Pueblo, 2012
- Cultural Competency: Orientation to Adult HIV Care. 2012
- Culturally Competent Healthcare - SickKids Journey to Cultural Competence, 2012
- Healing Techniques of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2012
- AIDS.gov explains New Media 2012
- Case Studies: These case studies in video format covering various scenarios in providing culturally appropriate health care.
- Healthy People Webinar: Transgender Health (Parts 1 -10 ) 2012
- Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Transgender Cultural Competency Webinar 2011
- Using a medical interpreter, 2010
- Incompetent vs. Competent Cultural Care April, 2010
This 8-minute video presents brief vignettes as examples of nurses responding competently or incompetently to situations requiring understanding of patients’ cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
- Culturally Competent Care Training Module - Part 1 (2010) Part 1 of DBHDS OCLC Training Module on the Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services - Culturally Competence Care Standards
- Aging with HIV 2009
This video talks about a relatively new generation: individuals over 50 living with HIV. But they're also an understudied population. Doctors say that unlike younger people with HIV, older individuals may have disclosure concerns and issues in terms of end of life care
- Older and Wiser: Many Faces of HIV - Part 1
This video is about 50 and over patients with HIV
- Older and Wiser: Many Faces of HIV - Part 2
This video is about 50 and over patients with HIV
- A lifelong battle: Teens living with HIV/AIDS 2009
This video addresses pPeople who are born HIV-positive often face a lifetime of medication and stigma. While improved treatment methods have decreased transmission from mother to child, doctors still say caring for children with the virus is an imperfect science
- Culturally Competent Care Muslim
Video skits of nursing students showing lack of cultural knowledge in the nursing setting.
- Cultural Competence for Healthcare Providers (2009)
Cultural competence training video with patient and provider's perspectives
- More Than Words: Language Barriers in Medicine (2009) Video which details how to meet the needs of patients with limited English speaking skills and how health care systems can find creative and low-cost solutions to help facilitate communication between patients and providers.
- Cultural Competence and Quality of Care (2008)
Explore the concepts of cultural and linguistic competency in delivery of healthcare services and in healthcare workforce development.
- HIV Cultural Competency (2007)
National guidelines for culturally and linguistically appropriate healthcare services in HIV for ethnic and gender minority communities.
- I'm Over 50. Should I Worry About HIV? (2008)
Older individuals need to be just as careful to avoid contracting HIV as younger people do. People often assume that older adults don't need to worry about HIV. Few people realize that almost one in six new HIV/AIDS diagnoses in America are in people age 50 and older.
- Sexual Diversity: An Interview with Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK)
HIV infection among gay men contributes significantly to the HIV epidemic in Kenya. In Kenya, the GTZ Health Sector Program targets sexual minorities such as LGBTI in its sexual and reproductive health interventions.
- Culturally Competent Care 2009
25 minute video slide presentation with audio. Talk given by a psychiatrist Lorin Boynton at Harborview Psychiatry Chief Resident Conference to teach about approaches to providing culturally competent care to immigrant and refugee patients.
- Developing Cultural Cometency 2006
Video sponosred by the Missouri Institute of Mental Health, featuring Dr. Anna Maria Bellatin, Clinical Director of the Mattie Rhodes Center. In this session, Dr. Bellatin examines the importance of an individual's positive regard and respect for others, a person's openness, flexibility, and desire to learn as it relates to the development of cultural competency in human service providers.
- Cultural & Linguistic Competency
Video sponsored by Case Western Reserve University featuring Ms.Tawara Goode of Georgetown University who presented techniques for designing research projects sensitive to cultural dynamics of patient population. This symposium was sponsored in part by Case Western Reserve University, the Francis Payne Bolton School of Nursing, the Clinical & Translational Science Collaborative, and the Center for Reducing Health Disparities.
- Cultural Competence Video
Video overviewing the principles of cultural competence presented by Robert S. Wright